Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Recent vuln disclosure papers/presentations

From: dan () geer org
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:46:29 -0400

halvar () gmx de writes:

 | > that in the end it is economics that rules including
 | > in the information security sphere.

 | I love economics papers. The cool part about economics is
 | that one can  support (almost) any thesis with it.

Well, sure.  I am a biostatistician by training
and you con prove anything you want with statistics
of sufficient complexity.  Of course, in cosmology
you don't even have to offer proof.

However, and oddly enough I guess, when I said
that "in the end it is economics that rules"
I was in no way talking about the concerns of
academia papers but rather that in the free world
it is the free market that ultimately controls
events.  Whether it is the academic math which
merits a capital-E Economics or the real politik
of nation-scale patterns of trade that gets the
capital-E Economics, what markets do is drive
and what academics do is then try to make sense
of the massive, non-linear, time-series equation
that a market is composed of.

You want to effect security?  You need numbers
and lots of them.  If those numbers happen to
have $$ in front of them, they'll get listened
to a bit better than if they are in units of
Fear, Uncertainty, and/or Doubt.

--dan