Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Sourcefire Acquired by Check Point Software

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:17:09 +0200

Le samedi 08 octobre 2005 à 13:49 -0400, Kyle Quest a écrit :
The first paragraph can't even be considered a reason to close source
code because it has no effect on the product itself. So what if not a
lot of external contributions are submitted. It doesn't do any harm
and it's not the real reason for dropping GPL.

It's part of it anyway.
There's a potential gain from GPL license through external contributions
to the engine would have been a real benefit that could have balance the
competition argument. But, if there's no real contribution, there's no
benefit for Tenable having Nessus GPLed. There's a full bunch of project
GPLed running without benefit.
But now, if GPL license arms their business (competition argument), they
only get loss out of it. As sad as it can be for users, this is imho a
good reason for them to leave GPL.

--
http://sid.rstack.org/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE