Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: "David Maynor" <dmaynor () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:15:33 -0500

I think IDS/IPS has a place. Sniffing my home DSL connection I still see
tons of Slammer and Blaster probes. IDS/IPS is useful for stopping known
threats like these. Its easier as well since they don't ever change their
payload. So if people are looking to put a checkmark in a box its a perfect
soultion for them.

On 10/28/06, Thomas Ptacek <thomasptacek () gmail com> wrote:

The #1 thing IDS/IPS does right is policy enforcement?

Did you have your firewalls doing vulnerability assessment and your
antivirus doing word processor mail merges at the same time?