Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 03:04:59 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Thomas Ptacek wrote:
The #1 thing IDS/IPS does right is policy enforcement?

Yes.

The best thing and mostly what people use I[DP]S systems today, for, is
detecting who is using P2P, IM, and what not.

Notice "use" rather than "plan".

Did you have your firewalls doing vulnerability assessment and your
antivirus doing word processor mail merges at the same time?

Did I ever run an IDS for a large organization? Yes, why thanks for
asking.

So, let us list what I[DP]S does right:
1. Policy enforcement.
2. Board-room budget meeting graphs and statistics generation.
3. ...?