Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:31:51 -0400

On Oct 26, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Dave Aitel wrote:
My feeling is that IDS is 1980's technology and doesn't work anymore. This makes Sourcefire and Counterpane valuable because they let people fill the checkbox at the lowest possible cost, but if it's free for all IBM customers to throw an IDS in the mix then the price of that checkbox is going to get driven down as well.

I think that you are throwing away a technology because of the fact it doesn't live up to the hype the sales monkeys have spewed. While I will agree that IDS' are not the end all be all, they do provide a very important layer within the defense in depth strategy. Yes you can evade them, and yes most companies want to just plug them in and forget about them, but that doesn't make the idea wrong.

I am a little biased, <grin>
Kevin
GCIA, GCIH
BASE Project Lead