Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Forensics: USB fobs

From: "Michael Spath" <michael.spath () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:40:39 +0100

On 11/1/06, Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com> wrote:

Someone yesterday at a conference talk I went to told the crowd that
you can overwrite a file (aka srm it) on a USB Key fob and it will
still be there
for Autopsy to see. That makes no sense to me. Can anyone verify this?

I guess that your guy was thinking about wear-levelling algorithms.
Basically to maximize the lifetime of the sticks, manufacturers add an
address translation layer between USB interface and the actual flash,
so that erase and write cycles are spread evenly on all blocks. This means
that when srm will try to overwrite a file, the data will actually be written
to another block and the old data will still be there.

regards,
--spath