Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Forensics: USB fobs

From: "William Watson" <wawatson () ntlworld com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 00:57:49 -0000

As far as the 'normal' filesystem goes, there should be no image left of the
old file contents ...

HOWEVER ...

It seems that each USB memory device contains spare memory areas (around 3%
on a 1Gbyte device) which are used to implement "wear-levelling" (I guess in
much the same way that magnetic discs have spare sectors). Maybe it is these
spare areas which Autopsy can recover.

It is also "well known" that there is no secure way to delete the contents
of a flash memory device. Part of this is due to the spare wear-levelling
sectors; the rest ... ????

Cheers,

William