Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: I love PKI :) (was Some Propaganda.)

From: ergosum <ergosum () neurosecurity com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:22:59 +0100

Just to make it clear - I don't think that enforcing the use of digital
signatures on all executables is an effective way to *block* malicious
code execution. That would never work in 100%, as there is always a
possibility to find a bug (in a signed application) and exploit it, not
to mention that anybody could buy a signature and sign his or her
malicious code with it.

Not only the implementation might be flawed, but the algorithm itself can be
flawed. Just remember the recent md5 collisions
(http://www.stachliu.com/research_collisions.html) (which btw permited the
creation of custom binaries with the same signature as the original non
modified bin) or sha0 and sha1 (http://www.cryptography.com/cnews/hash.html)
collisions.

Cheers

--
http://www.neurosecurity.com

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi