Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Nitin Kumar & Vipin Kumar: "please remember to give necessary credit to the authors" PKB.

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:42:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

Now, sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on teh internets that can
actually remember more than ten minutes ago in the past, but maybe it's
only journalists.  Still, the moment I saw the hyperbolic headline,
"0wning Vista from the boot", I wondered what was so special about this
that wasn't already demonstrated by Derek and Ryan from eEye two years
ago.

...or by various Windows 95 32-bit mode bootsector viruses, some 15 years
ago... the idea is badly recycled, and kept afloat only by the costly
lunacy of mandatory TCPA DRM efforts... given the fact these guys
advertise consulting services on their homepage, my gut feeling is that it
was meant to be this way.

On the upside, there is some interesting work being done on
firmware-infecting viruses in the recent months, say:

http://www.ngssoftware.com/research/papers/Implementing_And_Detecting_A_PCI_Rootkit.pdf

...and that certainly is fun, in a scary way. If you've missed that paper,
it's probably worth looking at.

/mz