Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Nitin Kumar & Vipin Kumar: "please remember to givenecessary credit to the authors" PKB.

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:49:21 +0100

On 26 April 2007 22:23, Dave Korn wrote:

  I will concede that they've done at least some genuine work in reversing
the integrity checks in the loader, but that's fairly routine stuff;
bypassing a check by altering the test in a branch instruction is pretty
trivial, it's about on the level of finding an infinite lives poke in a
computer game.

  Now I see this coming back at me on the list, it occurs to me to mention a
*far* more relevant comparison: it's exactly what Hoglund showed in his
earliest work about hot-patching a one-byte bypass into SeAccessCheck.  That
was back in NT3.51 days, 1995 or so IIRC.

    cheers,
      DaveK