Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Certified Network Offense Professional

From: drraid <drraid () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:43:34 -0700

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Thomas Ptacek <tqbf () matasano com> wrote:
Then they'd fail. There's no excuse for not being able to write a simple
 Windows stack overflow in this day and age. I don't see this part as a
 problem. Even web attackers need to know how to do that.

Web attackers do not need to know how to write stack overflows, Dave.
If you can code, you don't even need to know how to write stack
overflows to pen-test shrink wrap software.

Two observations, which I can make because our team can obviously
throw down the archaic exploit writing skills:

- In the commercial market, the ability to find vulnerabilities
commands a far higher price than the ability to write exploits. This
isn't opinion; it's simply empirical. People who actually write
exploits all day tend to work for vendors. A majority of consultants
can't.

- Most of the game-over vulnerabilities we find aren't code injection
anymore. You're proposing a metric that could fail someone who can do
DH parameter tampering, because they don't know the X86 Windows system
call gate.

Many consultants can't actually exploit buffer overflows, but almost all of
them can describe the process to do it. It seems that these people are more
fit to consult on how these vulnerabilities work instead of if something is
actually vulnerable. This could be one of the big problems with the industry.

"Web attackers" is too vague here -- if you're talking about owning something
named /cgi-bin/custom_request.exe, then yes, being that this is an archaic web
application, you probably do need archaic memory corruption
exploitation skills.
Obviously the SQL injection, RFI/LFI, XSS/CSRF doesn't require this.

I would generally agree that anyone selling themselves as a pen-tester should
be able to pass this -- but not at the exclusion of also being able to identify
poor use of crypto, architectural failures or web application
vulnerabilities. Maybe
the dispute here is in understanding what the purpose of this certification is.