Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Certified Network Offense Professional

From: "Thomas Ptacek" <tqbf () matasano com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:11:53 -0500

NB: I'm not talking because I think Dave is evil. I already knew Dave
was evil. I'm talking because this is an interesting topic.

I agree: being able to bust into enterprise applications is a great
way to ace an internal pentest. But even then, the best findings are
often not memory corruption vulnerabilities. When we talk about the
terribly insecure apps across enterprises, we should be thinking about
shell metacharacters.

Second, I see terribly insecure apps across enterprises all the time.
They're niche products or internally developed that often sit on key
systems. They usually don't have public vulns because they're internal or
niche but if you sit down with them they're generally easy enough to break.
So doing so is reasonable way to get into a fully patched system. It also
makes you look good and reinforces security best practices like
compartmentalization, defense in depth, etc.

--
---
Thomas H. Ptacek // matasano security