Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Still relevant after all these years...

From: Rafal Los <rafal () ishackingyou com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:28:28 +0000

First - Happy New Year all...

Now, perhaps I'm over-stating the obvious but... it seems like every year that passes the exploits get easier and
easier to execute.  It's not that systems are necessarily easier to hack (or maybe they are?) but that the combination
of the two things outlined below is making "hacking" sort of a low-effort activity... at least on the surface.  Now,
before someone writes back, I fully realize that there still have to be in-depth researchers actually investigating,
and writing the hard-core proggies to do these fun point-and-exploit activities... but let me put it out here...

Tools have evolved tremendously, and abstracted the heavy-lifting from the interface.  This means that there's a GUI
front-end on just about anything now, and MSF and others like CANVAS are making it exponentially simpler to execute an
attackExploits have migrated up the stack... meaning, whereas hackers had to write actual buffer overflow code which
took time to find, develop an exploit, and then test... now we've got SQLi which takes about 30 seconds to
find/test/exploit... and it works universally whereas a buffer overflow or heap exploit worked on a specific target.
This leads to a mass-exploitation being significantly easier, and almost a given.
I can't wait to see what '09 and beyond brings... this community is dynamic and we're always finding new ways to
exploit those willing to put features ahead of security.  My prediction for 2009... more exploitation not of "code" but
of standards (like what happened with ClickJacking).

Again, Happy New Year, and a prosperous and healthy 2009 and beyond.

 Rafal (Ralph) M. Los
IT Security - Response | Mitigation | Strategy
E-mail:  rafal () ishackingyou com
 - Blog:    http://preachsecurity.blogspot.com
 - LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/rmlos