Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Two things your grandchildren will never read: Newspapers, and "Proceedings"

From: Robert Lemos <lists () robertlemos com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:34:13 -0400

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:29 PM, dave wrote:

* PGP Signed by an unknown key

It's when you need sleep the most that you can't sleep. But the
following twitter does make it worth it:

spendergrsec: "It's like 8 pages documenting a team of 6 people's
first
exploit": http://bit.ly/grcUz

Go read and enjoy.

There's many institutions the Internet is going to destroy. Of all of
them, perhaps Academia is going the quietest. Every time someone posts
about the "Proceedings" of something, or a "peer reviewed journal" or
posts a bibliography of a paper-bound book, it's like hearing the
rasping sighs of the last dieing brontosaurus.

Them's fighting words, Dave.

I agree that neither will continue to exist in their current forms,
but I would also argue that both are trying to bring some level of
authentication/trust to the reporting of research -- a feature of peer
review and newspapers that should survive, even when the monopoly does
not. (In our own industry, Full-Disclosure versus Bugtraq is a good
example of the options.) So I hope the end result is that we get the
benefits of peer review without the drawbacks of monopoly (although,
one could argue that peer review is inherently a monopoly-creating
activity).

There was an interesting interview on future of newspapers recently
that covered some of this. I blogged about it yesterday:
http://robertlemos.typepad.com/writingmachines/2009/08/journalism-is-an-artifact-of-the-printingpress-monopoly.html

Cheers,

-R

robert lemos | mail () robertlemos com | skype: rob.lemos
science & technology journalist | http://www.robertlemos.com