Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

unencrypted network sessions

From: Kevin Shalla <Kevin.Shalla () IIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:06:40 -0600

I've been trying to stamp out telnet and ftp access to all our servers (by
forcing ssh and sftp), and have been meeting with resistance.  The reasons
given include "other schools allow telnet", "we're a teaching and research
university, and that will limit learning", and "we have people in China and
India, and Korea who need access, and they don't have ssh or sftp".  Do
other schools allow telnet and ftp, and if not, how did you convince the
naysayers that it is a good idea to switch to ssh / sftp?

Kevin Shalla
Manager, Student Information Systems
Illinois Institute of Technology
<mailto:Kevin.Shalla () iit edu>