Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Internet Content Management recommendations?

From: Pete Hoffswell <Pete.Hoffswell () DAVENPORT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:36:09 -0400

Greetings.

I have a question to pose to you folks.

We are looking to add some content management to our Internet connectivity.  By "content management" I mean the ability
to report and control internet traffic based on content.

We are currently evaluating

WebSense Enterprise
http://www.websense.com/products/about/wse/

And
Elron Software's Web Inspector
http://www.elronsoftware.com/productfamily/webinspector.shtml

Our requirements include:
Ability to report on Internet usage
Ability to block/control Internet usage
Manage and report on individual users.
Scale to 2000 active connections.
Integrate to existing infrastructure (including Cisco PIX and Cisco Cache engines)
Be cost effective

Can anyone share their experiences with either of these products?

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Pete Hoffswell                                            616-732-1101 (Grand Rapids, x1101)
University LAN/WAN Coordinator                616-395-4679 (Holland, x4679)
IT Services                                                 616-340-1792 (Mobile)
Davenport University                                   pete.hoffswell () davenport edu

http://www.davenport.edu                         http://www.davenport.edu/du/facultyandstaff/itservices/lanwan