Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Orderly Shut Down

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:38:44 -0400

We did not find a tool to do this, and we documented it -
documented the shutdown order.   In an emergency (and we've
had to do this so it is tested) our sysadmins and operators
follow our established shut-down list. In an emergency, we
found that some systems can proceed with shutdown as soon as
a database on another system is shutdown, others have to wait
for the entire system. The list, we found, also works well to
establish a start-up order when we can return systems.

We have just enough backup power on our UPS to allow for an
orderly shutdown of our approximately 90 servers.
Theresa Rowe
Assistant Vice President
University Technology Services
www.oakland.edu/uts - the latest news from University Technology Services