Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle the P2P problem?

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:39:26 -0600

Colleagues,

I'm not an attorney, but I think we need to challenge some of the
assumptions in these posts:

* "Illegal peer-to-peer file sharing" is a problematic concept. In May 2003
a federal judge ruled that P2P software was not illegal, although some uses
of it may be. This suggests to me the only way to detect *illegal* P2P file
sharing is to sniff the content itself, which most campuses are loathe to do.

* The notion that a *campus* could face legal liability for P2P traffic
appears to me to violate the basic premises of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (DMCA), which provides a "safe harbor" for Internet Service
Providers, including campuses providing network services to non-employees.

This is not to suggest that use of P2P software on campus is harmless.
Rather I think we need to understand that P2P traffic, per se, is not
illegal. The fact that a campus administration chooses to ban P2P -- which
it might do to manage its bandwidth or to discourage illegal behavior --
should not, in my view, expose it to legal liability for student use.
Faculty and staff use is another matter, as is the case of an institution
that does not abide by the DMCA regs protecting the safe harbor.

Regards,
Dan Updegrove