Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle the P2P problem?

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:23:12 -0600

Once P2P shows that its
primary use is for legal filesharing, I'll change my stand on it.

I agree that sound policies are arrived at by discussion across the
university and I find the views expressed here very interesting and
informative. But, are we really going to say that P2P as currently used is
okay because telephones are okay? I prefer to think that we can decide to
block P2P on campus, legal though it may be, as a method of discouraging
illegal file sharing without having to shut down our switchboards as well to
discourage drug deals.

Bruce Purcell
Cal State Hayward
 The legal uses of P2P are rarely heard, because they are not 'sexy' or
political. We could exchange opinions on how much legal usage is "enough",
or even whether its primary use has to be shown to be legal, without
changing many opinions.
 But how about listening to a Federal Judge (from California, even)?
"It is undisputed that there are substantial noninfringing uses for the
 (Grokster and Morpheus) software - e.g., distributing movie trailers, free
 songs or other non-copyrighted works; using the software in countries where
 it is legal; or sharing the works of Shakespeare,"
Judge Stephen Wilson

Cheers,
 Willis Marti
 Associate Director for Networking