Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft moves beyond patches

From: Joe St Sauver <JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:49:29 -0700

I'd missed this one, but a colleague pointed it out to me...

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5085251.html?tag=st_lh
"Microsoft moves beyond patches"

"Conceding that its strategy of patching Windows holes as they emerge has not
worked, Microsoft plans next week to outline a new security effort focused on
what the company calls "securing the perimeter," a company executive told CNET
News.com.

"Although Microsoft will continue to devise ways to improve the means by which
Windows users apply upgrades, or patches, to their software, the company had
realized that too many customers don't upgrade quickly enough to thwart
hackers.

'"From our side, (it) has been a little naive to think that all of those
customers are going to do patches," said Orlando Ayala, Microsoft's former
sales chief, who now heads its sales push to small and midsize businesses.
"It's just hard."

[snip]

"Ayala declined to detail Microsoft's new approach, or say whether the plans
include getting further into the market of providing antivirus software. He did
say that part of the effort will be a deeper relationship with firewall
providers.

"We are going to start putting more emphasis on what we call securing the
perimeter," he said. "That speaks of a deep partnership with the firewall
world."

[remainder snipped]