Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft moves beyond patches

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:57:56 -0700

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Joe St Sauver wrote:

I'd missed this one, but a colleague pointed it out to me...

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5085251.html?tag=st_lh
"Microsoft moves beyond patches"

"Conceding that its strategy of patching Windows holes as they emerge has not
worked, Microsoft plans next week to outline a new security effort focused on
what the company calls "securing the perimeter," a company executive told CNET
News.com.

Didn't Blaster prove the "securing the perimeter" was *not* sufficient??
(Unless "securing the perimiter" means "moving Windows machines outside
the perimeter.")

michael