Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [VulnWatch] TCP reset vulnerability

From: Steve Worona <sworona () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:09:56 -0400

I felt the same way, and then I read this part of the report:

Although denial of service using crafted TCP packets is a well known weakness of TCP, until recently it was believed
that a successful denial of service attack was not achievable in practice. ...

The discoverer of the practicability of the RST attack was Paul A. Watson, who describes his research in his paper
"Slipping In The Window: TCP Reset Attacks", presented at the CanSecWest 2004 conference. He noticed that the
probability of guessing an acceptable sequence number is much higher than 1/2**32 because the receiving TCP
implementation will accept any sequence number in a certain range (or "window") of the expected sequence number. The
window makes TCP reset attacks practicable.

So is this a relevant new discovery?  Or old news?

Steve
-----