Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [VulnWatch] TCP reset vulnerability

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () CERIAS PURDUE EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:40:37 -0500

At 3:09 PM -0400 4/20/04, Steve Worona wrote:
I felt the same way, and then I read this part of the report:

Although denial of service using crafted TCP packets is a well
known weakness of TCP, until recently it was believed that a
successful denial of service attack was not achievable in practice.

The discoverer of the practicability of the RST attack was Paul A.
Watson, who describes his research in his paper "Slipping In The
Window: TCP Reset Attacks", presented at the CanSecWest 2004
conference. He noticed that the probability of guessing an
acceptable sequence number is much higher than 1/2**32 because the
receiving TCP implementation will accept any sequence number in a
certain range (or "window") of the expected sequence number. The
window makes TCP reset attacks practicable.

So is this a relevant new discovery?  Or old news?

Back in the days when sequence number prediction was simpler there
were several demonstrations of reset attacks.    I seem to recall
(but don't have access to my books to check) that Simson Garfinkel
and I wrote such a tool and tested it, then documented it in one of
the earlier editions of our books.

I know we had one here in-house, because the students were using it
against each other until I made them stop. :-)