Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

15 character minimum passwords

From: Todd Gunter <guntet () SAGE EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:02:57 -0400

Has anyone adopted the use of 15 character minimum passwords?

We are going to start using this password format when we migrate to Windows 2003.  I was wondering if anyone has
started to use this format and what, if any, issues you had using them?

We see this as a simpler approach to passwords.  Fifteen character password with complexity is simply
'Ihaveabigmouth.'.  They are also supposed to much harder to crack.

Please let me know your experiences with this move and any bumps in the road to look out for.

Thanks,
Todd :)>

-----------------------------
Todd Gunter
Director, Management Information Systems
Information Technologies Project Manager
45 Ferry St
Troy, NY 12180
guntet () sage edu (work email)
518-857-6754 (cell)
518-244-2088 (office)
518-244-2460 (fax)
~~~ "If you focus on quality today, it will, in the long term, pay benefits" ~~~