Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 15 character minimum passwords

From: "Lucas, Bryan" <b.lucas () TCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:53:30 -0500

Check for mac compatibility if you have macs, you'll want the MS UAM.
Are you getting rid of LM and forcing NTLMv2 only?
Look at how LC4/5 cracks are read up about the 7th/8th character issue.
Length doesn't necessarily equal cracking difficulty.
Study LC's options and their relation to cracking time.
Look into Anixis PPE/PPC/APR for better enforcement in a windows
environment and self-service.  Its priced very reasonable and works like
a champ.
Prepare for the user revolt.  Be prepared to defend every complexity
rule you make.  Think through your deployment/rollout carefully.  A
product like Anixis allows you to roll it out in groups. There was a
very good study done by Cambridge on mnemonic devices and password
complexities.  I've attached the PDF, dunno if it will go through.
Google... there's tons of pages out there about passwords, best
practices, etc.  Requiring complex passwords necessitates a self-service
solution.

I just went through this in our environment. We ran LC with the most
basic setting (Dict/Username no brute) against our database for 13
months.  We'd email those whose passwords were weak asking them to
change it but had no real enforcement mechanism.  We started at 19%
weak, hit 10% in 6 months and then it stagnated.  Hence the enforcement.

Bryan Lucas
Lead Server Administrator
Texas Christian University
(817) 257-6971