Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Address harvesting of EDUCAUSE?

From: John Kristoff <jtk () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:35:03 -0600

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:28:48 -0600
Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU> wrote:

Would it be a good idea to require a login (and you're required to
subscribe to get a login) to search the archives?

Personally I think mailing list archives should be open to the public if
the list itself is generally open to public subscription.  It is very
handy to have the archives indexed on search engines or for some to just
browse an archive without having to login (especially if they are coming
from an untrusted host).

If mailing list software could just remove or somehow sufficiently
obfuscate email addresses in the public archives (possibly making them
available to registered users) that would be preferable in my view.

John