Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking port 25 outbound

From: Michael Halm <Michael.Halm () CCMAIL NEVADA EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:07:52 -0700

We don't exactly block port 25. We have a list of authorized mail servers.
If any other host sends on port 25, the traffic is forwarded to our box
and an e-mail is sent to the sender explaining the procedure to get their
mail server authorized. Our NOC is notified and we sniff to see if the
mail is spam. Then we track down and contact the owner of the box.

We made an initial effort to identify all our smtp servers before we went
live. Once we added the few we missed this system has made our lives a lot
easier. And we are better netizens as well.

Michael Halm

University of Nevada Las Vegas

4505 Maryland Parkway

Las Vegas Nv  89154