Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking port 25 outbound

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:47:00 -0400

Joe's got a great list of things below.  To that, I would add:

* periodic (monthly?) scans for open mail relays on port 25.  We've done
this for years and recently opted to scale back because we haven't found
any in the past 12 months or so.

* if you have an IDS, configure it to monitor for SMTP service traffic
destined a port other than 25.  we use this to find spam-bots.

-c