Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password cracking benchmarks

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:57:32 -0600

Don't dictionary and brute force attacks rely on having access to the
password file?  Aren't password files protected from theft?  Aren't
login sessions encrypted between PC and server?  Are we talking about
hacking by system administrators?  If it's just trying passwords,
don't lockout strategies keep them out?