Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data Classification

From: Tom Siu <thomas.siu () CASE EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:56:22 -0400

Hello,

With some background in Department of Defense R&D, I have taken a
tangent AWAY from the use of classifications that are the same as US
Government classifications in the higher education domain, to avoid
any misunderstandings when research grant and funding processes may
be involved.   Therefore, I don't have the words "confidential,
secret, top-secret, tippy-top-secret"  etc. in my taxonomy.

I've got Tier1, Tier2, and Tier3.

Using a little guidance from NIST SP 800-60 (http://csrc.nist.gov/
publications/nistpubs/800-60/SP800-60V1-final.pdf), here is the
matrix that helps define the categorization of data.

Tier            Category                Confidentiality Integrity               Availability
-----           ------------            -------------------     -----------             ---------------
  1             Unrestricted            low                             moderate        low
  2             Univ Internal           moderate                moderate        moderate
  3             Restricted              high                    moderate        moderate

The CIA impacts are institution specific, but the categories seem to
be germane to many .edu workspace.

Regards,
Tom

   Tom Siu