Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory Security Training in Higher Education

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:51:25 -0400

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:06:01 MDT, Jim Dillon said:

Oh excuse me, we aren't a business we're an institution, they are
students not customers, and the rules don't apply to us we have academic
freedoms.

My two cents (adjusted for inflation, converted to Euros and thence yen,
arbitraged, and all the rest):

A government agency with a $800M budget is usually perceived as bloated,
stagnant, and populated by uncaring civil servants.

A business with an $800M budget is usually perceived as trying very hard
to improve itself for the future.

Which perception do your whiners want to give the outside world? (Feel
free to adjust $800M to fit your site - that's the number here...)