Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:51:12 -0400

 Tom Siu ventured to comment, at 10/24/06 4:57 PM:
Our entire wireless implementation is a guest network.

We have a mission to support the local community, therefore anybody can
use our wireless network if they are in range, and it covers
the local "University Circle" area, and many open areas between campus
buildings (we are an urban campus).

The architecture is a private IP space which terminates outside our
network, and internal users get increased throughput.

There is currently no SSID (prevents AP phishing), and we hope to
implement WPA2, and have a guest login for guest users downstream, and
Case users will use their network IDs.

Hi, Tom,
Sounds pretty good to me (I'm a default-allow kind of guy) but the only
concern I have with this setup would be CALEA. How do you folks view this
requirement with your wireless roll-out?

--
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
    www.ouuf.org,  www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"The statesman who yields to war fever...is no longer the master of policy but
the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events." --Sir Winston Churchill.