Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experience with Risk Assessment tools, such as RiskWatch?

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:16:40 -0500

Thanks for the links information and advice.  Our risk assessments have
been based entirely on the expertise of the people implementing the
system, and my own expertise.

I get teased a lot with the label that Don Parker used in his book
Fighting Computer Crime, where he described the "Folk Artist"
information security person.  A faculty member using the book started
the label and it stuck.  It stuck, because to some extent it is
accurate.

I am old enough to have been a programmer, when the "software
engineering" discipline began to emerge, and I learned a lot.  There was
a checklist mentality there as well, from people who didn't have
experience as programmers.  I just want to make sure that I have balance
of the emerging "engineering" practices in the information security and
risk management areas.  And I hope that again, I will learn a lot.

The other reason that we are looking at it is because it will promote
for a consistent format.

Thanks for you input.

Jim