Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access Policies

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:26:38 -0400

Faculty and Staff may request a VPN account through their supervisor.  VPN
only allows the Faculty/Staff to Remote Desktop into their office PC on
Faculty/Staff VLAN only.  By using RDP only, we can limit the spread of
malicious code.  In addition, the end users have the same experience they
would, if they were sitting at their office.  We limit the concurrent VPN
sessions to avoid and/or detect account sharing as well as set a mandatory
connection timeout.

IT staff rules are a bit more lax and allow ssh into network equipment as
well as other types of access for troubleshooting issues that could arise
when individual office machines are down.

We also offer SSL VPN.  For Faculty/Staff we provide a portal with a Java
RDP client.  IT Staff can take advantage of the SSL client which provides
wider connectivity options.

Hope this helps.