Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Measuring security

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:39:25 -0600

I highly recommend
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Metrics-Replacing-Uncertainty-Doubt/dp/03
21349989 for assistance on what makes a good and bad security metric and
lots of insight into great metrics.   Prioritizing its information is
one of my ongoing goals.

One of the few comparisons metrics I've gotten implemented is related to
a subset of nessus and WSUS information.   By department, I keep tabs on
"number of days a system has a patch failing" and number of days that a
groups system has on average remained exploitable per remote
vulnerability scanners.    The unfairness category I've got to normalize
is accounting for the number of assets a single group runs.  Having 9
systems failing a patch doesn't seem so bad if you run 5000 systems but
if you run 10 systems, it's pretty bad.

All over different time periods:

Applications in Use

Applications Reviewed for Security Issues

Applications with stale users

Notebooks in Use

Notebooks Encrypted

I try very hard to downplay the metric of "number of incidents
discovered or reported".  Getting people to be more open about virus
infections and not treating them like break/fix increases your number
but is actually a better awareness metric.