Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Vaulting

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:35:29 +1300

we use Thycotic's Secret server and are very happy with it.  We
address the availability issue by having two separate servers (in
different campuses) and syncing the database every 5 minutes.  The
database is also backed up daily and could be restored to a laptop if
need be (this is the ultimate disaster recovery scenario).

The access to the webserver on which the app runs is controlled via
Secureid.

We provide this service to all IT groups on campus.

We feel that this system is an order of magnitude more accurate and
secure than the paper based system that it replaced.  SS will now
change passwords for you too (but we have not yet tested this).  It
will should make the 3 monthly change of root/administrator passwords
*much* quicker.

Russell