Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA and Student Computing Accounts

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:16:13 -0500

Ditto.  We also would not know the student's password, nor would we
provide it to the parent if we did.

- ken

Joel Rosenblatt wrote:
We have a very strict no password sharing policy - plus our passwords
are stored at one way hashes and there is no way for us to give the
password to anyone - so I would say that in our case, the answer would
be we cannot do it.

But I am curious to hear other answers on this one.

My 2 cents,
Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel

--On Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:12 PM -0700 "Plesco, Todd"