Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network config monitoring and auditing software

From: Timothy Hayes <thayes () RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:54:21 -0400

Rutgers uses Voyence Control, now called EMC Ionix Network Configuration Manager. In my previous life as part of the
network operations group everyone was extremely happy with it. As far as I know that group is still very happy with it
under it's new cooperate ownership.

It is much more than just a monitoring/auditing tool though- you can use it to build full configuration files and
automate the deployment of changes. It does a very good job of monitoring for changes using both SNMP traps to monitor
for them as well as device polling to check the actual config in case a trap was missed. You can diff changes between
version and see who modified things. It can be used to audit the presence/absence of specific settings and even
automatically modify the config in response.

It's multi-file aware too for those cisco devices (and others) which store settings in multiple places (say for the
VLAN database...)

----- "Kevin Halgren" <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU> wrote:

We're looking at software to help with monitoring and auditing changes

to firewall and switch configurations.
--
Timothy Hayes
Office of Information Technology, Information Protection & Security