Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: phishing attack using copied University website

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:19:43 -0700

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, TIMOTHY S GURGANUS wrote:

NCSU email users were the target of a phishing attack last Thursday
night.  This attack was different from others we have been receiving
and I hope it is not a harbinger of things to come.  I have read of this
happening to other schools, but I'm wondering how common this attack is
versus the usual phishing that uses only email.

We haven't had one quite like that, but did have one which included a
link to our real webmail login page. Only what you'd expect for an online
bank or eBay phish, but we're quite a small site with less than a
thousand users. That one had about 80 recipients and 80 duds before it
triggered a spamtrap. Last year we had one that must have stripped our
LDAP server or something and got everyone. Only about 2 users actually
mailed them a password...

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)