Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: phishing attack using copied University website

From: Martin Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:08:03 -0400

We had a very similar incident in the spring where the phishers sent a
message with a link rather than a reply-to. The link went to an exact
replica of our webmail (SquirrelMail) log-in page. Like the NCSU
incident, they were pulling the images live from our server. The page
was hosted by brinskter.net in Phoenix, AZ. Our state Cyber Security
agency was successful in contacting the hosting company to have the site
taken down.