Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Links

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:17:58 -0400

I gave up.  You can't fight it.  The worst here was a time we...
because of a possible 'incident'... we wanted everyone to change
a password (legacy... we can't force change passwords on that
system)  The PR people actually wanted to send out an email saying
due to xxxxx we are requiring everyone to change passwords.  Click
here to change yours.

Yeah!

When the 'make it easy for the user at all costs' mindset is
around, it's a tough fight.  (I did win that one by putting
their message alongside a phishing one).  More abstract than
that just would not work.