Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: Nathaniel Hall <educause-lists () NATHANIELHALL COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:40:11 -0600

When we configured our VPN system we were using Cisco ASA VPN endpoints
where we could use port security or 802.1x authentication.  While not
perfect, it did prevent users from connecting their own network printer,
gaming consoles, computers, etc. and essentially allowed a manual split
tunnel.  Devices plugged into the ASA traversed the VPN for traffic and
devices not plugged into the ASA went straight to the Internetz.

--
Nathaniel Hall