Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet vs. Palo Alto

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:46:25 -0700

 We recently reviewed both Fortinet and Palo Alto and were not impressed.

 The demo we did of the Palo Alto led us to believe that it was a content filtering device first, and firewall second.
We could see potential for adding it into our mix of devices, but the UTM notion was quite far off the mark. That said,
I think they do some good conceptual marketing, and have a good story to tell.

 In the end, we decided that we are better off with a strong traditional firewall (e.g. Not a Cisco!) that was
improving in layer 7, rather than a native layer 7 device that really has a lot of catching up to do in terms of
serious enterprise management.

Brian Basgen
Information Security Officer
Pima Community College