Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fortinet vs. Palo Alto

From: Will Froning <will.froning () GMAIL COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 01:32:33 +0400

Hello Joe,

I've pasted below part of an e-mail I sent off-list to Corbett:

======================
I assume they gave us an underpowered box. We sent them our requirements before the POC (same as we did for the PAN),
and the box they brought just couldn't handle it. It could be they didn't have a big enough box in the product line
when we looked, or they just screwed up. I don't have any details on the hardware since I've deleted those e-mails.

In partial defense of FortiNet, vendors/distributors/partners in this region are idiots. Just one month ago we invited
Meru Networks to come out for a POC. We told them if it was successful we would consider replacing our existing 300+
APs. They missed the deadline... I mean they just had to bring in the hardware for a POC?!? The EMEA Director begged
for a second chance (which we will give him), but wow there's a who lotta suck out here.

So I don't know the hardware, but I remember their ASICs at the time were the big talking point with Palo Alto Networks
propaganda. So it could have been just before they released an updated ASIC.

Thanks,
Will

--
Will Froning