Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access and the Terminated Employee

From: Roderick Cook <rcook () PACIFIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:36:17 -0800

We do have a documented process but no formal policy.  At Pacific, typically
HR will notify the OIT group through email that we need to term X employee
by Y date/time.  Accounts are then manually disabled by system
administration at the specified time.

More often than not there seem to be cases where an individual (usually
faculty) is leaving the University on graceful terms and HR requests that
departing employee retain email for a short period of time.  Each of these
requests are handled on a case by case basis and require supervisory
approval as well as HR before continued access is granted.

If it were solely up to me, I'd terminate all access on or slightly before
term date/time for all departing employees, no exceptions.  Still working
through the termination process with HR on that one.

Roderick Cook, CISSP
IT Security Officer
University of the Pacific

On 3/2/11 9:57 AM, "Feehan, Patrick" <Patrick.Feehan () MONTGOMERYCOLLEGE EDU>