Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HEOA Question

From: "Jacobson, Dick" <dick.jacobson () NDUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:27:13 -0800

We handle the time differentials similarly.
If the reported time does not show a connected user, and I can be assured that our server time is (and has been)
accurate, and the network folks do not have anywhere else to check (netflow, other logs) then I will ask the reporting
party to check their timestamps (and suggest they synch against one of the official time servers) since “I have no user
connected to that IP number at that time.”

I have been through this a few times with our network people, and recheck every now and then so, while I can’t be 100%,
I am fairly certain that our people are doing due diligence before saying they can’t find anyone.