Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest WiFi Access

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:29:10 -0400

On 9/8/2011 2:22 PM, markm196 () netscape net wrote:
No it is like time noted.. Each port is tied to a single mac address
or several mac addresses in some areas.. Also called port security.

We've used that in one or two locations where we had pronounced problems
with people unplugging the lab computers.

On a Cisco, it is indeed port-security, and you can configure "sticky
MACs".  The port will learn the connected MAC addresses, and they can be
locked in place, you must manually reset the port to connect a different
MAC.

Jeff