Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest WiFi Access

From: "Foerst, Daniel P." <FOERST () CUA EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:01:14 +0000

Hi Mark,

When you say port locking, do you mean a physical device that prevents removal of an Ethernet cable by anyone from the
wall?
What about at the workstation level? Dave indicated that students just snip cable ties, if you are locking at the wall,
how are you preventing users from taking a wire from the workstation?
I suspect many students are not likely to be carrying around Ethernet cables, although they may on a campus with limit
wireless. Do you have cable locks in office spaces where students may bring their own laptops? Heck, the vast majority
of our students do not know what an Ethernet cable is, they have been so indoctrinated to wireless that they seemingly
do not know of anything else.

We once used cable locks on our workstations that not only secure the workstation, but the mouse, keyboard, and
Ethernet together. I am not sure why those aren't used anymore (they may be as I have not really surveyed a lab/user
area in sometime).

This whole thread is very interesting. Thank you for whomever initiated it!

-dan

Daniel Foerst
Assistant Director, Networks & Security
The Catholic University of America