Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA

From: Brian L Cox <coxbl2 () UNK EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:04:34 -0600

Ed,

We block P2P traffic.  When we identify a new P2P application being used
by a student we block their access to the network and require them to call
and set up an appointment with our CIO before their access is restored.
That application is then added to the default blocking list  This may seem
a bit harsh but it has resulted in only 2 notices sent to us so far this
year.  We will allow legitimate P2P traffic and so far the only P2P
traffic allowed is for those using games that require P2P for updates etc.
 We have yet to have anyone come forward with a legitimate educational use
for P2P.   I am sure those applications exist, but we have not encountered
them so far.   This brings up a second part to this question....what, if
any, legitimate P2P applications have been identified being used on
college campuses?

Brian L Cox
Information Technology Services
Assistant Director of Network Services