Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data Classification Schema

From: "Myers, Julie" <julie.myers () ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 08:54:45 -0500

We have a four level data classification structure at the University of
Rochester:  Legally Restricted, Confidential, Internal Use Only, Public.

I know many university's have a data classification policy and within
that policy examples are highlighted for the reader.  I was wondering if
anyone has taken their data classification process down to the next
level and created a data map / schema to assist the end users and to try
remove the shades of gray when trying to classify department specific
information ?  We continually are question on "what is confidential" and
are trying to more clearly define this for our end users.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year !

Thank you,

Julie Myers
Chief Information Security Officer

University of  Rochester - University IT

julie.myers () rochester edu <mailto:julie.myers () rochester edu>

p: 585.273.1804  c: 585.208.0939

P Think twice before you print

 CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.